Krabi might be popular destination of Thailand but it’s still unheard by lot of people in India. Every year thousands of Indians travel to Phuket but I guess only handful visit Krabi. I may be wrong but that is the perception I got when I spoke to people around me. As my traveling dates were coinciding with New Year, I didn’t want to visit an overcrowded place. So I decided to ditch the obvious Phuket and headed to Krabi. I am glad I did that as Krabi didn’t disappoint me.
- Krabi is a town located in south west Thailand and is not an island. This gives it an edge that in addition to beach activities there are other options as well.
- Most of the tourist destinations which are reachable from popular Phuket can also be reached from Krabi. So Maya beach, Phi Phi islands etc can easily be visited by making Krabi as base.
- It has an International airport, so connectivity is not a concern. It has flights to many nearby countries.
- There are plenty of options for vegetarians. Thai food itself has many veg options and then are plenty of Indian restaurants specially near Ao Nang beach. Staying on island will always limit your options. Also fruits and juice stalls are available everywhere.
- There are plenty of accommodation options available in Krabi. Most of the people stay in Ao Nang, Railey beach or Krabi town itself. Please note that Railey beach is only accessible by boat so your choices of restaurants will be limited as compared to Ao Nang.
- There are hundreds of agencies selling island tours. Before taking a tour check the prices at multiple places. Tour from same boat companies might have different rates on different shops.
- Krabi is relatively quieter as the other places in Thailand have an impression of being party places. Krabi is not dull but it’s not an over enthusiast. It has just perfect level of energy. Even on new year eve it was quite relaxed. It has a vibe of place which belongs to all types of tourists – groups, couples, families and solo travelers.
With this post, I am back from my hibernation :). There are plenty of things to catch up from past few months and I would do that in due course of time. I hope this year has been going great for you all. I am a bit late in my travel goal settings for this year and will work on that soon. I also need to talk about how I failed miserably to achieve my book reading goal which I set last year and how I will fine tune that this year. Stay tuned. There are more things coming up 🙂