Disclaimer : Information contained in this post is updated as of 7th July, 2013. Please check with embassy for latest updates.
One of the important step in planning a trip to Turkey on your own is to understand visa requirements. Though the documents required for visa application is comparable to requirements of Schengen Visa, the process is quick if you have all documents ready. They just want to make sure you will not overstay and have sufficient funds to bear your expenses during approved time of stay. The embassy in Mumbai also responded to my queries via email with a very less turnaround time.
There are two options for getting a Tourist Visa for Turkey :
1. On Arrival Visa : Indian passport holders can get On Arrival Visa if they already hold a valid Schengen Visa. As mentioned on Wikipedia, applicable rule for Indian Passport holders is – , “Visa on arrival for maximum stay of one month for holders with valid Schengen or OECD member’s visa or residence permit”. In addition to that you first need to get e-visa as per latest changes. You can find information on this link : https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/. This was not applicable for me hence this is not first hand information. Please double-check with embassy before you consider this option.
2. Applying for Visa from India: In case of any doubt its better to get Visa beforehand from India. Following is the list of documents that are to be submitted along with the completely filled application form.
- Visa application form filled with 1 white background photograph
- Two recent passport size photographs not older than 3 months
- Original passport with a minimum validity of 3 months and minimum 2 blank pages
- 2 photocopies of passport
- Confirmed return airlines ticket
- Hotel Reservations
- Trip Itinerary
- 3 months salary slip
- Original Bank Statement (With a minimum balance of Rs. 1 lakh per person) of last 6 months
- Photocopy of Credit Card
- NOC letter from company
- Original Leave Sanction Letter with company seal.
1. Make sure leave sanction letter is on company letterhead with company seal. Also should contain the signature of authorized person from company.
2. Bank statement should have bank seal in original.
3. Though the process takes 2-3 working days but still apply in advance to have sufficient buffer time. In case you are asked to submit any additional document, you must have sufficient days before your travel date to resend the document.
You can submit your application in person if you are in Mumbai or Delhi, otherwise it is easier to take help from a travel agent who can submit documents on your behalf.
Please see the following documents that I received from Consulate General of Turkey, Mumbai.
Other Useful Details :
1. Single entry -Rs 3300/-
2. Multi entry – Rs 10900/-
3. Double transits Rs 6600/-
4. Single transit – Rs 3300/-
Visa fees accepted in cash only, Visa processing time – 3 working days
Submission timing’s – 9 to 12pm. Collection timing’s – 3 to 4pm.
Passport holders applying for visa through travel agents can contact the Turkish Consulate directly regarding any queries about the status of application by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Final Note : After reaching Istanbul airport, you can move to counter number 2 at immigration which is for India. Have your visa verified, and you are ready to put first step in Turkey :).