Disclaimer : The information contained in this post is updated as of 31st March, 2013. In case of any doubt, please check with embassy.
Indian passport holders can apply for Vietnam Tourist Visa in one of the following two ways :
1. Applying for Visa via Embassy : It was very difficult to get Visa application requirements from Vietnam Embassy. The website didn’t contain any information and despite of making several calls to both Mumbai and Delhi consulates, I couldn’t talk to officers there. Since I was not located in any of these cities, I had to take help from a travel agency.
Following documents are required for Visa Application :
- Completed Application Form
- Covering letter for stating purpose of visit
- 1 photographs with white background 35x45mm
- Bank statement for last 6 months
- Salary slips of last 3 months
- Return Air Tickets from India
- Hotel Bookings in Vietnam
- IT returns for last 3 years
- Photocopy of PAN Card
Visa fees has increased this year and now it costs Rs. 4800.
The time to process Visa application is 5 working days.
2. On Arrival Visa : The second and quicker way is to apply for On Arrival Visa. This is a bit tricky as you need a sponsoring company in Vietnam for getting on arrival Visa. For tourist purpose a travel agency can act as a sponsor. The application is done in two steps.
a. Getting a Visa Approval Letter : This letter can be obtained online from a trusted e-visa services provider. One very good service provider is http://www.vietnam-evisa.org/. You will need to fill the application online and pay a service fees of 50 USD. The fees is higher for India passport holders as opposed to 20 USD for many other countries. You will receive the approval letter within 2 working days. Once received, take a print out of this letter along with entry and exit forms sent with email from service provider.
b. Getting Visa Stamped upon arrival : You will need to carry the above mentioned documents along with two passport size photograph. Also a stamping fees of 45 USD will have to be paid at airport. Make sure you carry the amount in cash.
The process of getting Visa On Arrival is very fast. At Hanoi airport it took around 15-20 minutes as not many applicants were there. After collecting your luggage you need to proceed towards immigration and just before that you can see Visa on arrival counter. First, you are asked to submit the documents and after verification you can pay Visa fees at next counter and finally have the Visa stamped.
Once you are done with Visa, you can move towards immigration counters located very near to Visa on arrival counters and within few minutes you can pass through custom to enter the city.
Note : The above information is valid for one month single entry Visa. If you want multiple entry Visa then fees may vary and Visa service provider can give the latest information.